Sunday, June 26, 2005

The Short and the Long

Well, it is official now. I am an Ex-runner. I have been having foot pain in both my feet for the last 2 months. I tried to ignore it and even pressed my luck by running a half ultra marathon (50 km).

Now my feet hurt from standing too long.

So I went to a podiatrist on the recomendation of a good friend of mine and had my feet checked out. His assessment: Plantar Fasciitis. He wants me to try orthotics for my shoes. Yuck.

I've heard a lot about running with orthotics and most if it isn't encouraging.

So I am going to stop running for a short while. I may start again but for now, I am an ex-runner.


Why do I run anyway?.

When I was younger, it was to escape screaming babies and give me freedom in a restrictive environment. I planned my runs so they would not interfere with Mo's schedule. She could sleep while ran.

It also got me out in the fresh air and allowed me to think.

It was a time of meditation. Eventually I discovered God in the pages of my journal and the miles of my journey.

The longer my runs became, the more able I was to listen to that vast, small voice.

Recently I ran an excersize that was just over one km. Although the distance was short, I still heard that small voice. Yup, still with me. So a short run can be meditative too!

I guess in the Long Run, a Short Run may be just as therapeutic.

No comments: