Thursday, July 07, 2005

Top Flight Life?

So, the new me decided to try golf as a replacement for running. It's a fine way to spend a sunny evening. A bit of exercise, some nice scenery, pleasant conversation. Except for being hard on my feet, what's not to like?

I discovered that I am not the greatest golfer in the world. But hey, I just started. I only have up as an option. My golf partners were very understanding and supportive. What a great group.

All well and good, you might be thinking, but what is PBGish about golfing? Well, I got to thinking about the number of golf balls that wind up in the North Saskatchewan River. The must be hundreds of balls per day. The river must go through lots of golf courses on its travels to the sea. Probably millions of golfballs a year wind up in the oceans from this river alone!

that's a lot of balls

There must be whole shoals of balls out there. What life forms do you think are living on these balls? Perhaps as we speak, there is some new life-form evolving on the dimples of the golfballs collecting in the ocean depths.

And if these new creatures become dependent on their golfball oasis', what will happen if there is a recession and the number of golfers plummets?

Just think about that for a second. Kinda makes you want to take up golfing. But perhaps not get too good at it, or you won't hit any "top flight" balls into the river.

 

EDIT: I was listening to CBC radio's Quirks and Quarks. This article, although it doesn't mention golfers and ocean golf ball shoals, is exactly what I was talking about!

No comments: