Monday, July 11, 2005

The Grass is greener.

They say that the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence. I believe that.

In my blog-reading travels (I must admit I haven't been spending much time looking others up recently) I have discovered the joy of reading the first post. I love the first post of a new blog.

When I discover a new blog-link, I usually try to get a feel of how the blog has been going by checking the frequency of posting and how long it's been since the last post. Then I skip straight to the first post. It is always so revealing.

People put all their good intentions in their first posts. They might not know what a blog is about, they may have not found their style or muse, but their determination to stick with their new blog is usually dripping from their keystrokes.

They also usually spend 5 times the effort on the first post as they do on, say, the fourth. You know that if the first post sucks, you can bet that their writing probably won't improve much with age.

Well, I wandered over to the Sisters' site (the only blog I seem to visit on a regular basis, read a wonderfully inspirational post by Katie, spotted a de-cluttering idea from, well Katie, I guess and read the first comment.

Blog comments are another place I like to spend my reading time. You find more quality blog-links in comment reading than in a hundred Google searches.

Which leads me to Simon.

Simon lives in California. Grass Valley California. And he works for Grass Roots Software. In his first post, he speaks eloquently of his life, faith family, and future plans.

To tell the truth, it doesn't sound like the grass is any greener there than it is right here. I already like Simon and I don't really know him.

Well, not much more that what I read in his first post anyway

Keep up the good work Simon. I promise I will read more. Oh and link you to the PBGs.

No comments: