Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Lent -- No Playing Around

Well, it's Shrove Tuesday today so I have been casting about trying to decide what to give up for Lent this year...

But before I get in to that, perhaps I should give a quick status report from last year's Lent project.

I managed to stick to my goal and clean up every day for 40 days. Most days I did pretty well. Some days I had trouble getting over 30 items. The following day(s) I would try to compensate by picking up extra things so the average was still above 100 items.

Some of the areas I tidied are still looking respectable. Others are in need of cleaning up again. The house still seems pretty cluttered, but I am still working on it.

One of the big reasons that I don't clean up as much as I would like is that I spend way too much time on the computer. It's takes far less energy to sit in front of the keyboard than to wash the kitchen floor. It's far more fun to cause pixelated mayhem than to scrub a toilet. It's much more challenging to play a game of Stack 4x4 against an opponent from half way around the planet than to sort through old mail and dust the entertainment center.

So this year I plan to give up computer games. No more Kingdom of Loathing. No more Civilization III for me. Every time I even think about playing a computer game, I will stop and clean up instead.

Mind you, I will still allow myself to spend time on the computer. After all, who could give up Blogging?


Editor's note: Apparently I am not alone in my lenten journey. My old web-sparring mate Ron Shank had also vowed to give up e-games. Hey Ron, I thought of it (and posted about it) before you did. ;-)

No comments: